Tuesday, November 29, 2011

He Does Not Change

Not to long ago, a friend asked me about a specific decision I made last year.  What made you do it? she wanted to know.

My answer was simple: the Lord directed.

I went on to explain to her that God had made His mind clear to me in regard to this event, and He gave me a peace that He would bring it to pass.  What I didn't tell my friend, however, was that that particular season in my life was excruciatingly hard.  I felt pulled in multiple directions, stretched thin until I couldn't stretch any more.  The Lord's will was not always clear to me; many nights I spent on my knees beside my bed literally crying to Him for an answer.  Time was ticking away quickly.  Yet there was always a pull, a divine pull, that drew me to God and gave me a [very] subtle assurance that He would provide.  Matthew 6:25-34 became my go-to verse for everything.

The Lord provided an answer.  It certainly didn't come in my timing--in fact, it came far later than I was even remotely comfortable with.  But it came.  And once I had it, I clung to it with all of my being.  Unforeseen circumstances continued to take place, making God's promise seem utterly impossible.  Perhaps it was, to the human eye.  Not to God.

Eventually the promise came to pass.  And as I was giving my friend the very condensed version of the story, she looked at me in awe.  "That's amazing," she said, "how you could just know God's will like that."  She couldn't wrap her mind around the idea of God revealing Himself like He had to me.

This post is aimed at my fellow Christians.  It is meant to be an encouragement, not a condemnation.

Revelation 4:5-8 - "Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!"

Hebrews 13:8 - "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."

He does not change.  The God of the Old Testament, who provided water from a rock in the desert and who drew back the waters of an entire sea, is the same God of the New Testament, who turned water into flavorful wine and who overcame the grave.  This God is our God today.  He does not change.


It's scary though, isn't it?  To think that when Jesus said, "Ask, and it shall be given unto you," He meant it.  To think that He desires such an intimate relationship with us that we would know His heart and be completely consumed with Him.

My situation last year was not unique.  It isn't supposed to be unique.  In fact, it was a very, very mild example of what the Lord can (and wants to) do.  He wants to reveal Himself to His children.  He wants us to know Him.  And what's more, He deserves these things. 

Our God does not change.  He cannot change.  He has not lost any of His power over time, even though we may not see Him clearly in this world.  Take heart!  Push through the ceilings that are blocking your communication with your Lord.  Seek to know Him and hear from Him.  Know that He will not fail you.  Our God is the same yesterday, today, and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment